Friday, May 04, 2007

Music Class

I have absolutely no musical talent, and my friends will actually tell you that I am tone deaf. My wife, who is a great dancer and is very talented in so many ways, is also not a singer. She sings maybe 100 times better than me but I may argubly be the worst singer this world has ever heard. So...we decided that we would start early with Ryder and let him dabble in the wonderful world of music. We figured if genetically we couldn't give him great natural talent, at least he could learn it early. So every week we take Ryder to Kid's Story Room a nearby activity center that offers music class. The cool thing is that we get to dress alike cuz there is always a theme at the place and last time it was DRESS LIKE DADDY DAY.
So we put on our matching camouflage pants, orange long sleeves, and brown t-shirt and went to explore the sounds of music. The class lasts for about an hour and it's great. The teacher sings songs with the kids and they also get to play with a ton of different instruments. All the kids also get to dance and play with balls and other thingamajigs. It's great but Ryder has difficulty concentrating because he basically sticks everything in his mouth.
You give him a drum stick, it goes in the mouth. You give him a tambourine, it goes in the mouth. You give him a drum, he licks it. Yes, he licks the whole drum. So we decide to give him bigger instruments...like a xylophone. You can't eat a xylophone right? WRONG! Ryder can! I guess it's this whole teething thing, he constantly has to gnaw on something. So we've given up even though we still take him to music class everyweek. I just don't think music is in our blood.
The cool thing about music class is that he is beginning to interact with other kids. This is his new girlfriend. Minnie Mouse. He's learning to play with other kids and share and I think its great to do so early on.
I don't have a picture but he eventually ate his hat and the mouse ears also!

2 comments:

Mommy Liz said...

Ryder, we miss you! When are you coming back to LA so we can play?

Your BFF,
Tyson

joanh said...

I'm glad Ryder is liking music class!!!! It's so fun to see you guys every week!