We went back to LA during the Xmas break and it was great to see friends and family. It was Makayla's first trip to the land of the free, or should I say "Land of the Super Expensive?!" We hadn't been back to LA for almost two years and were we in for a surprise. I guess inflation had run rampant and after a bout of recession, the U.S. seemed so much more expensive than I remembered. We were $ shocked, but what can you do? When in Rome...you go eat in Monterey Park!!!!!!!!! Which is 70% the price of the rest of Los Angeles. We started off our trip with a big family gathering. Jackie's parents, her brother and sister-in-law, along with my younger bro Jason, all flew into town.
Here's Makayla with Grandma Sophie and meeting Uncle Jason for the very first time. By the time Makayla is in high school, uncle Jason will be a very famous fashion designer and she will be wearing his evening gowns to parties. Wait, I take that back, she will not be going to parties until she graduates from college. :)
We also got to visit my grandmother for the first time since her fall a little while back. She was in very good spirits and it's always a pleasure to visit my 94 year old grandma. Some of my earliest memories are of my grandparents when I was just about 3-4 years old, which is Ryder's age now. I hope he remembers some of these flash images when he gets older cuz he will treasure them.
One of my favorite things about being back in LA is the chance to go to Lakers and Bruins games. But UCLA sucks bad this year so we weren't going to go spend money to watch them get spanked by less talented teams. I can watch that on TV for free! So I took my dad down to Staples Center to watch Kobe and the Lakeshow against superstar in the making, Kevin Durant and his posse. It was great fun especially since David Stern hooked me up with some plum seats. I could almost feel Leonardo DiCaprio breathing down my neck. Wait, I was behind him right? :) Anyway, I paid $50 for a beer, a cup of tea, two hot dogs, and a pretzel. Please tell me when did two hot dogs and some drinks become $50?! And get this, I splurged cuz I was going to park across the street from Staples Center but parking was $60!!!!!!!! So I made my poor dad walk a couple of blocks so we could have them hot dogs. Sorry dad, but I hope you enjoyed the hot dog and tea! BTW, parking was still $20 and I spent like a madman at the Lakers souvenir shop after the game.
It was also great to see my auntie Millie and her two kids Chris and Tiffany. It's really been a long time since we last got together for a good meal. Time sure flies cuz Chris is now a lawyer and Tiffany is off at Vassar College. I still remember when they were Makayla's age! Time is creepin' up on me.
Ryder probably had the most fun on this trip cuz he got to hang out with his cousins Russell and Austin. Even though they both tower over him, he felt part of a little gang and it was great. He absolutely loved hanging out with the older brothers and literally was Austin's shadow for 3 weeks. I think Austin liked having a little pee-on idolize him cuz that's what he used to be.
Xmas spirit was everywhere too as people went all out decorating their houses. We have Xmas in Taipei, and it's getting more and more festive every year but it just doesn't compare with the States. People don't really decorate their houses cuz 90% of the population lives in a hi-rise and Xmas is more just a shopping holiday. One thing good about the recession was that there were less lines at restaurants cuz I use to remember waiting for hours during the holidays. Here's a pic of what our house would look like if we lived here cuz my wife, the Xmas Nazi, would make me do this.
Ok, that was the lead up to Xmas. Next post will be Xmas in Las Vegas. Cha-Ching!
11 hours ago
2 comments:
yay! glad to see an update. it would be awesome if you guys decorated your house at christmas. maybe you could start a trend in your neighborhood. haha!
that is INSANE about spending $50 for hotdogs and drinks at the laker game. it's highway robbery because you have nothing else to eat there.
it's about time this blog gets updated.
Post a Comment